We’re currently in the field discovering and recording the lost music of the Ugandan Kingdoms. Our journey so far has taken us to the capital of Uganda – Kampala, over to Jinja in the east and back in search of musicians who haven’t played in the royal palaces since they were children.
We’ve been posting regular updates about our journey which you can read on our Field Reports section. Including:
- Some background and the beginning of our journey to discover the lost royal drums of the Buganda Kingdom
- Context on the Entenga royal drums we’ve been searching for
- The story of Musisi – a drummer from the royal palaces and the fall of the Buganda Kingdom
- Some information on the progress of the Bigwala trumpets – an instrument we restored on a previous field trip
- Interviews with the palace players and a great deal of information on the art of drum making